Sunday, January 24, 2010

Stick Fighting!

Sometimes the best way to find a pose is by simply scribbling.
I'll be the first to admit that these are not the most dynamic drawings ever, but, when stuck without a model or photo reference, I think it works fine.
The method of building a figure by scribbling is even laid out in "How to Draw Comics the Marvel Way" by Stan Lee and John Buscema.
You and I may not be John Buscema, but it's good to know that if we scribble enough, we may just find the drawing or pose that we were looking for!

For these Stick Fighting drawings, I started by placing the sticks in the positions I wanted them.

I then added the figures.


My next step will be to light-box these doodles into my thumbnails or enlarge them and use them for reference for a bigger, better drawing!
So, scribble away, true believers! It's a valid method and, though messy, it works!

No comments:

Post a Comment